Volunteer With Us
The Light of Truth Center is blessed to have, at this time, volunteer staff and residential managers.
We are making a difference by being an organization of service and providing safe, quality housing and hands-on recovery services to the women we serve.
Our Volunteer Staff, at this time, consists of:
- One Volunteer Housing Manager
- Two Volunteer Residential Managers
- A Communications/Marketing Manager
- A Community Liaison
As a non-profit organization, we depend on the giving nature of you, our volunteers, to support our mission. Did you know that when you volunteer with us, you also reap the satisfaction and benefits of volunteering by becoming involved in your community? Check out the video below to get a sense of the Light of Truth Center and why we are an organization of which you will want to be a part.
Also, if you are wondering about the ways in which you benefit from volunteering, here are five:
Volunteering allows you to see growth and change. Whether helping with the clothing sale, spending time with program participants, or facilitating a workshop, you can actually watch growth among the women over time. Knowing you played a part can reinforce your own sense of worthiness and vitality.
Volunteer opportunities often allow you to try new activities or learn new skills. It is the perfect vehicle to discover something you are really good at and develop a new skill. As Mahatma Gandhi said, “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” It is never too late to learn new skills and no reason why you should stop adding to your knowledge just because you are in employment or have finished education. For example, helping us to plan and implement our annual fundraising event can develop goal setting, planning and budgeting skills. Mentoring a program participant can help you develop your listening and coaching skills. The possibilities are many.
Friendships and a Sense of Community
When like-minded people get together, friendships are formed. After working on a volunteer project for a while, it’s not uncommon to exchange phone numbers or social media information. By giving just a few hours a week, lifetime friendships may be established. No one is an island. We sometimes take for granted the community in which we live. People and societies co-depend on each other for survival. Volunteering ultimately is about being of service to others and having an impact on the well-being of our community, and by extension, the world. What better way is there to connect with your community and give a little back? As a volunteer, you certainly return to society some of the benefits that society gives you.
Over the past two decades we have seen a growing body of research that indicates volunteering provides individual health benefits in addition to social ones. This research, which is presented by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) in a report titled “The Health Benefits of Volunteering: A Review of Recent Research,” has established a strong relationship between volunteering and health: those who volunteer have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability, and lower rates of depression later in life than those who do not volunteer.
There’s nothing more fulfilling than realizing how much of an impact you can make. Just a few hours of serving can turn into a lifetime of opportunity, which is one of the greatest benefits of volunteering. Fundamentally, volunteering is about giving your time, energy and skills freely. Unlike many things in life, you choose whether to be involved in volunteering. As a volunteer you have made a decision to serve on your own accord, free from pressure to act from others. Volunteers predominantly express a sense of achievement and motivation, and this is ultimately generated from your desire and enthusiasm to serve.
When you volunteer you give the most important thing there is…Love. So, whether you call it “giving back” or “paying it forward” through service, there’s a place for you in our organization to give of your time, your skills, your treasure, and most importantly, your love. Our arms are open wide to pass on that love to the women that we serve. C’mon….reach out and touch! We’d love to have you!
Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
- Call companies to get ads for our annual fundraiser souvenir booklet
- Call companies to sponsor our annual fundraiser
- Donate event planning services for annual fundraiser and/or other events
- Design/build a covered patio for meditation/reflection at our Payson and Orleans locations
- Write grants and/or implement development activities
Public Relations and Marketing
- Write press releases and/or content for print media such as magazines and booklets
- Manage social media strategies such as our Facebook page, a blog about addiction, etc.
- Create video footage about and/or take pictures of the founder and the women we serve
- Recruit and manage a cadre of volunteers for various projects
- Research women’s statistics on:
- Incarceration in Baltimore City
- Treatment stats for women in Baltimore
- Women in housing programs
- Gaps in serves for women with children
- Help with our administrative/clerical activities
- Assist with Quality Assurance data gathering/reporting activities
- Serve as an assistance to the Founder
- Donate skills as program writers and/or subject matter experts to assist with the development of facilitators guides and workbooks for existing unique recovery process program
Hidden Line-Up Line
So that you are prepared and ready to go…we have provided descriptions of all volunteer positions and/or projects that are available within our organization. Indicate on the form your desired position of service.
We are an organization of “Excellence.” By obtaining Maryland Nonprofit Standards of Excellence, Seal of Excellence, (2010) all things are done – decently, and in order. We are held to specific code of ethics and as such, expect our volunteers to do the same.